Tuesday, October 30, 2012
News and notes from Mark Dantonio's weekly press conference
(Just a FYI, the Dantonio pressers last much longer than Hoke’s, that’s why his notes tend to be longer. I have had complaints about that. It’s not a bias thing, it’s a time thing)
- Dantonio said the team “just kept playing” against
Wisconsin and showed a
lot of composure. Felt the team grew a little bit on offense and it was good to
see Andrew Maxwell win the game in overtime.
- He wouldn’t call the
win a “season saver.” He thought it was a good win and it sent a message to
keep playing and to finish. Said focus has to turn to Nebraska.
- Dantonio feels Maxwell is getting more comfortable as the season has progressed. He felt Maxwell “cut it loose” on the final drive in regulation and became confident in his abilities. He feels Maxwell has done a tremendous job but you are always asking for more out of your players and team and Dantonio feels Maxwell is growing. He feels he has the demeanor and the tools to do what the coaches want him to do.
- Dantonio called Max Bullough an overachiever, but said it with the greatest respect. Said he is very self driven and will always look to get better.
- Dantonio felt linebacker Taiwan Jones made a step forward in the
Wisconsin game and had a great game.
- When asked about playing in close games Dantonio said that the big element is finishing. Against
he felt they didn’t finish by not getting the ball back. Against Ohio State Indiana, the team
finished by playing very well in the second half. Against Iowa,
the defense didn’t finish the game on a 5-minute drive by the Iowa offense. Against Michigan, the offense had a chance to finish
late with a first down or a touchdown when they settled for a field goal.
Dantonio said the team just kept its composure and made the plays late when
they needed to.
- When asked about MSU’s play in November, he has been proud about his team’s ability to finish the season strong in previous seasons. He said that’s when championships are won, in November.
- Said the team was “having fun” even when down 7-3 in the third quarter against
and that was what helped them comeback. After the game, Dantonio apparently
joined the team in a dance. He said that was the first time he had done that.
- When asked about
success, Dantonio attributed it to manufacturing the “Big Red Machine” and
being able to create a style and mindset where they would run the football.
- Dantonio feels Taylor Martinez is similar to Braxton Miller and Denard Robinson. He is a big part of the offense and can produce a lot of yardage.
- Dantonio said last year, MSU didn’t play well against
Nebraska. It was the one
game he felt the team didn’t play well. He said his players want to atone for
that this week.
- Dantonio said Dion Sims was about 80 percent against
Wisconsin. They weren’t
sure how much they would be able to use him in the game, but they were
surprised about how much he did play. Dantonio expects him to play in full this
- Dantonio said the team is as healthy as it has been in the last three weeks. MSU has its first bye of the season after this week’s game with
- When asked about Rex Burkhead, Dantonio said he is a tough-minded football player and a complete football player. Even without him on the field,
is still moving the ball well.
- On the issues running the ball, Dantonio said they have a big, physical back (Le’Veon Bell) that needs to run downhill. Said MSU needs to strive for balance on offense and they need to avoid the penalties on the offensive line.
- Dantonio said Aaron Burbridge had a tough game (went without a catch). Said that comes with being a young guy. He was out of sync during the game but Dantonio said that he will bounce back.