Friday, August 31, 2012

Week 1 MSU & Michigan Picks


It’s finally here.
College football is upon us and there may not be a state with more interest in the next two days than Michigan.
Michigan and Michigan State are in the lone games featuring two ranked teams and both games should be intriguing.
Here are my picks for the weekend.

Michigan State vs. Boise State
This game has so many question marks coming into it. How good is Andrew Maxwell? Is the MSU defense as good as advertised? How will Boise State recover from losing so many starters?
I know the Broncos look depleted, but their program has been strong for many years now because of their ability to recruit and develop talent. I have no doubt that Boise State should be very talented when it steps on the field tonight. The big concern of the Broncos is that they lack experience. There could be some miscues that will play right into the Spartans’ hands.
I expect the game to be close most of the way, but look for MSU to make some plays on both sides of the ball toward the end of the game to get the big victory.
Prediction: MSU 21, Boise State 17

Michigan vs. Alabama
I’ve expected Alabama to dominate this game for months, and while I still do expect the Crimson Tide to win handily, I think Michigan has a better shot than I originally felt.
Alabama should have the talent, but since it is a first start for many on the defense, I expect some mistakes to happen on that end for the Tide.
I look for Michigan to get a big play in the first half to keep the game close, but ultimately I see the Wolverines struggling to move the ball consistently without Fitzgerald Toussaint (who I expect not to play).
The Michigan defense should be able to have some success, but over the course of the game, the size and strength of the Alabama offensive line will win out.
Prediction: Alabama 27, Michigan 14

No comments:

Post a Comment